How to apply LED lighting for modern and efficient warehouses.
Warehouses may seem like simple spaces to light but there are several factors to consider when selecting the right product. Warehouse need to be well lit in order so that customer orders can be fulfilled quickly and efficiently, however these spaces where heavy machinery and people operate need to be safe and have measures in place to minimise health and safety issues. Glare from luminaires is a common issue in warehouses and achieving a completely glare -free environment is often impossible due to the nature of having to cast your eye up and down racking, changing the position of eye and the resulting illuminance intensity. Luminaires with UGR <22 should be used in warehouses. For further lighting design guidelines and recommendations, please refer to the European Standard EN 12 464-1 Light and lighting – Lighting of work places – Part 1 : Indoor work places.
Questions to consider when choosing the right luminaire for your warehouse include:
- How accessible is your space and therefore how important is ease of installation, lifetime of a product and maintenance cycles?
- Can you create a safe and well-lit environment using aisle specific optics?
- Will the solution help you reach your efficiency, energy and CO2 emissions targets?
- Will the lighting meet the glare requirements as indicated in the European standards?
- When and for how long is lighting required? Do you have a 24/7 facility and could daylight or occupancy sensors and controls help you manage the space more efficiently?
Download our handy LED_INDUSTRY_warehouse_lighting guide.